To respond to my own thread here, I think given that we allow multiple
simultaneous calls to parse/unparse from different threads, we must say that
the DataProcessor object is immutable once parse or unparse are called.

I suppose we could say that it is mutable, but behavior is undetermined if any
parse or unparse calls are active on any thread.

But this is just asking for trouble IMHO.

I think we started out with a stateful, non-thread capable API. The idea is
that one thread would be invoking a data processor at a time. A data procesor
was the state-block of an execution.

The need to share compiled processor reloads, because the compile schemas were
expensive to create, tempted us to allow multiple parse/unparse calls on
different threads.

Fact is, I think we should have said no to this, provided a
DataProcessor.clone() to create instances that shared the reloaded compiled
schema binary, but otherwise had separate state, and said that parse/unparse
were synchronized methods on their DP instance.

Instead we're in a 1/2 way world where we don't have a thread-reasonable API
due to mutable state in what turns out to be a cross-thread shared object.