From: Mike Beckerle <mbecke...@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2024 11:22 AM
To: dev@daffodil.apache.org
Subject: Re: Discuss: Layer changes - 3.7.0 or 4.0.0 ?

I think the compelling argument to get the layers stuff into 3.7.0 is that we
don't want any more layers built using 3.6.0-and-prior APIs.

I tend to agree we should not make the next release 4.0.0 because we have other
things to get into that release, and the layers stuff is not an official part
of DFDL even if it is a practical necessity for many schemas.

The easiest way to make-whole the current layer users is just to convert the
layers that exist, making new versions of them for Daffodil 3.7.0. I am
certainly more than happy to help people do that.

I know Owl Cyber has perhaps 6 project-specific layers written. It's quite easy
to convert them all, and that's easier than dealing with co-existence.

Truly nothing has come up about layers on our mailing lists that I recall,
excepting a long time ago someone outside of our core project team created the
first version of the byte-swap layer.
But that's now a Daffodil built-in layer, and so other than converting the
dfdlx layer-related properties from old-to-new, should still work the same.

The risk is only that users can't upgrade as easily to 3.7.0.  But arguably
this is no different than the upgrade where the package names all changes to
make OGSI components possible. Perhaps easier.