Trustin Lee a écrit :

I don't think we can't experiment with 1.1 or any further releases. I thought we are rewriting ApacheDS completely from the number 2.0.

Yes, this is the case. May be my previous mail was not completly clear. What I meant is :
- 2.0 is a complete rewriting
- 1.1, 1.3, etc are experimental implementations of new features and improvment over previous features
- 1.2, 1.4, etc are stable versions

What we really need to do is to extract important design issues of ApacheDS from a various level (API, architecture, ...) and resolve them one by one in decending order of the impact. I think this effort should make what 1.1 is.

I agree. But in the same time, while rewriting the whole server in 2.0, we may found new solution that could be included in 1.1. Remember that 2.0 will be Java 5, so it will be different from 1.1, even if the code base could be very close. The idea is to let users get better versions really soon, not to let them wait for one year before they can experiment 2.0. So, yes, 1.1 and 2.0 will evolve in parallel.

Yep, as we discussed long before, 1.1 is a unstable branch. So basically we shouldn't have any limitation on changing anything critical. Resolving a big design issue which causes a lot of refactoring and rewriting should be done as earliest as possible in a unstable branch.

Exactly.

Emmanuel