On 2/9/07, Alex Karasulu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
John,

Doing this means committing to OSGi and I'm not going to be too
comfortable with doing this until I see:
To tell you the truth we have big concerns that overshadow the container
effort right now.  First on that list is multi master replication so we
can make the directory and all that rests upon it fault tolerant.

That does not mean I am not interested in OSGi or getting this stuff
working and integrated into the main trunk.  I'm sure we're going to see
several benefits from using a container again.

My thoughts on moving ApacheDS to OSGi:

1)  I am in agreement with the priorities and timeline mentioned by
Alex and Emmanuel.  There are some key enterprise features the server
needs first and I have a lot of clean-up, doco, and enhancements to
make to the protocols myself.  I think we can target June and work to
get the ApacheDS house in order by then.

2)  A lot has improved in OSGi-land since we first started making
ApacheDS bundles with Maven 1.0.  OSGi support on jcp-open was
encouraging as well as support we've seen from members of the JBoss,
Geronimo, Spring, and Maven communities.  We'll see a lot of activity
this year, making OSGi even easier to move to:  3rd-party library
support, Spring support, and drastic improvements to Maven bundle
plugin technology.  To be honest, moving a year ago to OSGi would have
been a lot of effort and I think the 3 months asked for here will
allow us to get some groundwork laid in the Felix community to make
this an even easier transition.

3)  I think the next step is to get all of the great thinking that was
in this thread into a Confluence page.  Is this still the best
location?:

http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/OSGi+and+ApacheDS

We can move that page over by itself, but there was some indication
that the entire site was moving?

Enrique