Hi Jörg !

long time, no see :) At least, you are still prresent on the Directory page : http://directory.apache.org/community%26resources/the-team.html

<snip/>

I have toyed with the idea of donating this component to the Apache Directory Project, but have so far kept quiet, since the level of maturity wasn't where I would have deemed it fit for general consumption. This however, has changed in the last few weeks. So, if you consider rolling your own mapping solution, I think you would be a lot better off with the openthinclient.org component. The component currently lives at https://openthinclient.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/openthinclient/suite/trunk/common in the org.openthinclient.ldap package. Also contained are some test-cases illustrating basic usage. The GENERIC_RFC.xml mapping file could serve you as a rough guide to mapping your own objects.

Just as a quick note to the broader Apache DS community:
For the lack of a proper writeup of what I/we've been up to I'll give you a quick update. A few years ago, levigo developed a Linux based thin client management solution which has been deployed at quite a few customers, driving some thousands of thin client systems. Through the years it has always been a solution catering more to specialized cases, than to a real mass-market. About two years ago we started to replace the existing solution with a complete overhaul. This new solution was based on the idea of serving everything thin clients need from a single server with a simple deployment, to replace the old one requiring separate native TFTP, NFS, and DHCP servers. Second system syndrome along with limited resources has dragged out development of this system much longer than we anticipated, but in the past months the system reached a state where we can successfully pilot it in various settings. Since levigo's business model with respect to thin clients does not hinge on the sale of licenses, we open-sourced this solution in September. The project pulls together several technologies in order to achieve the goal of a single-server thin client solution: Java-based servers for NFS, TFTP, and PXE (a DHCP derivate for network boot applications) as well as Apache DS for the storage of all configuration information. At least two components of the system might be of interest for integration into Apache DS: - the PXE proxy has a lot of code which could be forged into a full DHCP server - I've always wanted to do this, but haven't found enough time yet.
- the LDAP mapping mentioned above.
That would be great. There is only one little problem I can oversee : the actual project is released under GPL V2 license, which is not compatible with ASL 2.0. But I'm sure we can work this around.

It would be a pleasure to discuss more in detail about such a contribution. I suggest we can start a new thread about it.

Thanks a lot !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com