Hi Jess!
The problem here is that that Groovy LDAP uses JNDI under the hood. The
same probem would occur with JNDI.
See: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/jndi/tutorial/ldap/misc/attrs.html
(to be more precise: "Specifying Additional Nonstring Attributes")
Groovy LDAP works fine with binary attributes which are binary for JNDI
by default (e.g. jpegphoto). "image" is not in the list, you have to add
it manually.
In JNDI, you would set a property to specify which attributes are binary:
...
env.put("java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary", "image");
...
Later create JNDI InitialContext with env
The problem is that LDAP Groovy hides the creation of both the env and
InitialContexts.
I see two (fast) options:
a) change Groovy LDAP source by yourself and add the env property in
class LDAP (file LDAP.java, method createEnvironment())
b) add a jndi.properties file to the classpath, which would be mixed
with the env Groovy LDAP uses
content of the file for b) only one line:
java.naming.ldap.attributes.binary=image
Please let me know if workaround b) works for you, or if you need more help.
We can add a feature to Groovy LDAP for that, which would make perfect
sense to me.
Greetings from Hamburg,
StefanZ
Am 29.03.2013 06:19, schrieb Jess Johnson:
I'm having difficulty retrieving binary data from an OpenLDAP server
and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I read
on the message board that binary data comes back as incomplete or
corrupted unless the client specifies what attribute is binary.
I wrote similar functionality in another language to test and
everything worked as expected. I'm able to retrieve all other values
(Strings) except binary data.
def ldap =
org.apache.directory.groovyldap.LDAP.newInstance('ldap://some.server.com/ou=People,o=Acme
<http://some.server.com/ou=People,o=Acme>')
ldap.eachEntry (filter: 'id=1234567') { entry ->
def image = entry.image.getBytes()
new File('/var/dir/something.jpg').withOutputStream {
it.write image
}
}
Where would I specify the attribute "image" is binary?
Thanks,
Jess