Hi guys, it was two tough weeks, with merely no work on the server... But still, we made some progress on some side projects critical to ApacheDS. Let me provide some headsup.
1) We are making progress on Mavibot. Mavibot is the backend replacement for JDBM. Currently, we are able to manage the additions, deletions and modifications in it. The performances are good, assuming the right page size/nb of elements per page are correctly set (up to 13 000 updates per second). The searches are blasting fast : 1 600 000 lookup per second. Kiran has added support for multiValues in it, and is currently testing a partition for mavibot. I let him giving some feedback on this part, but I'm quite exited ! We have a lot to do, still. We currently never remove any revision, so the file keeps growing after each modification. Kiran is working on a bulk load mechanism. I'm working on a mechanism that reclaim the pages that are not anymore in use. We will have to add a way to access the old revisons too and I'm currently working on that. This will allow us to get rid of the ChangeLog system, as it will now be just a matter to switch to an old revision to get back to the previous data set. That will make the test way faster ! I expect to have Mavibot completed by the end of april. 2) MINA 3 is also on its way, and sounds promizing. It's already 50% faster than MINA2, which is a huge gap. I hope to be able to build a working prototype based on MINA 3 by the end of april too. 3) In the mean time, I think we can get a 2.0-RC1 released. We have fixed some serious bugs lately, and I don't think we will add new features in this version. All in all, I think that once 2.0 will be out, we will be able to switch to Mavibot backend and MINA 3, to get way better performances. 4) The documentation It *absolutely* sucks :/ I have tried to improve the Kerberos documentation last month, it was a lot of work, as the kerberos server was also quite buggy. There is a lot to do, since we switched to the new system last year, we haven't made a lot of progress in this area. This is true for the server but also for the API. I can't seriously see how we can get a 2.0-GA if the documentation is not improved in one way or another... It's useless to have a fast and working server, if no one know how to use it :/ That's pretty much it, Kiran, feel free to complete this mail. Pierre-Arnaud, sorry if I haven't mentionned what you have done on Studio, so please, feel free to add your progress ! Many thanks guys ! -- Regards, Cordialement, Emmanuel Lécharny www.iktek.com
