I've been working on cleaning up the Developer's Guide export from the
Wiki.  This is effectively complete - or as far as I'm going to take it
for now.  The template I used is a loose mix of the original template
used to publish that guide plus elements from the template used for the
User Guides.

This works, but it could be better... a lot better.  There are elements
in both templates that are good, and not so good.  They do not look the
same etc etc.  The templates as they are are not effective for using as
a template for the Wiki export.

I think it would be useful if we worked on a common single template that
we can use for all documents that are exported from the Wiki.

There are a few considerations for this:

 - The template needs to be able to map as many of the Collections
styles as possible to reduce the manual cleanup of an exported document.
 This is one of the most important parts of the rework on template.
I've done some of this on the template I used for the DevGuide, but it's
not done properly (style names are not consistent, not all map to
Collections styles, etc).

 - The template should be clean and professional looking (an objective
thing, but if the look/feel is something we can agree on, then we're on
track :-) )

In the Template layout, we need to focus on a few things:
 - Chapter and Appendix title definitions
 - Tables - these are a bit of a mess in the export
 - Step numbering/Bullet Lists with appropriate level 1, level 2 etc
 - Indented paragraphs (in-line with bullet text)
 - Image layout definition (wrapping/position/anchor point etc)
 - Widow/orphan settings on all styles
 - Page size/dimensions (I used A4 for the DevGuide)
 - Page Margins (left/right... do we assume binding margins or simple
margins)
and probably a whole lot more.

The goal i have in mind is to be able to export a book from the Wiki and
import it into the template and only have to do a minimum of
post-processing to "clean-up" the document for publication.

Any thoughts or comments on this?  Is this achievable?

This is something that could probably be added to:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Project_Plan
as one of the team projects...

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       ccorn...@openoffice.org
OpenOffice.org Documentation Project co-lead