I am agree about massive amount of changes, though I thought Anatoly sort of
volunteering for it :)
About benefit - it would save us spilling/restoring one register for each
rte_malloc() call.
Probably not that important, as  rte_malloc() usually is used from data-path,
but still.
Plus it doesn't look good to have a function with parameter  that would never
be used.
Konstantin