2015-08-31 08:59, Neil Horman:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 10:23:33AM +0000, Iremonger, Bernard wrote:
> > The purpose of this RFC is to remove the need for a PCI device driver
> > from Vdev's that that do not use a PCI driver.  Removing the PCI driver
> > is implemented in the ethdev changes. I have modified some of the Vdev's
> > to verify that the ethdev changes work.
> >
> You didn't remove the relationship of the ethdev to the pci driver though,
> which
> is really the problem,  An ethdev may reside on any number of bus types
> (pci/usb/vmbus/virt/none).  This patch series just papers over the fact that
> an
> ethdev is implicitly a pci device by making the assignment of its pci_dev
> pointer optional.  Whats really needed is a way to associate an ethdev with an
> arbitrary bus
>
> > > What benefit accrues to those vdev
> > > PMDs that implement this change?  What penalty is imposed on those that
> > > do not change?
> >
> > 6Wind have decided that only cleanup patches will be allowed in future

Not a 6WIND decision. This is a community project.
I gave my opinion regarding maintenance of the code.
I may be wrong but after discussions with others and recent comments, it seems
well justified.

> > for Vdevs that have a dummy PCI driver. Any change in functionality for
> > these Vdevs will not be allowed.
> > Please see email below from 6Wind
> >
> > http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2015-July/022107.html
> >
> I think you misread that.  I think all Thomas is asking for (correct me if I'm
> wrong Thomas), is for someone to start refactoring the ethdev registration
> code
> so that we can have a single init path without the need for wierd typing and
> differentiation at init time.  He's not going to stop accepting bug fixes for
> existing drivers just because it uses the existing initalization
> infrastructure.

Yes. Such cleanup can be enforced by rejecting new features on top of these
workarounds. But driver fixes will be accepted.

> I would even go so far as to say new drivers will be accepted for as long as
> the
> existing init path exists as it does.  We just need to start thinking about
> how
> to make bus registration independent of ethernet device registration, and
> while
> your patch series sort of eliminates some of that, its really not a proper
> refactoring of the sort I think Thomas is asking for

Yes
The sooner will be the better :)
Thanks for taking care of this issue.