No, the buffer only needs to be the size of the accessed data. I use it like
this:

char buffer[sizeof(uint32_t)];

for (;; pc++) {
    switch (pc->code) {
        case BPF_LD_ABS_32:
            p = rte_pktmbuf_read(m, pc->k, sizeof(uint32_t), buffer);
            if (unlikely(p == NULL)) return 0; /* Attempting to read beyond
packet. Bail out. */
            a = rte_be_to_cpu_32(*(const uint32_t *)p);
            continue;
        case BPF_LD_ABS_16:
            p = rte_pktmbuf_read(m, pc->k, sizeof(uint16_t), buffer);
            if (unlikely(p == NULL)) return 0; /* Attempting to read beyond
packet. Bail out. */
            a = rte_be_to_cpu_16(*(const uint16_t *)p);
            continue;