On 4/1/24 11:34, Morten Brørup wrote:
From: Stephen Hemminger [mailto:step...@networkplumber.org]
Sent: Monday, 1 April 2024 00.03

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 14:33:35 -0700
Tyler Retzlaff <roret...@linux.microsoft.com> wrote:

+#ifdef RTE_TOOLCHAIN_MSVC
+#define __rte_constant(e) 0
+#else
+#define __rte_constant(e) __extension__(__builtin_constant_p(e))
+#endif
+

I did some looking around and some other project have macros
for expressing constant expression vs constant.

Implementing this with some form of sizeof math is possible.
For example in linux/compiler.h

/*
  * This returns a constant expression while determining if an argument
is
  * a constant expression, most importantly without evaluating the
argument.
  * Glory to Martin Uecker <martin.uec...@med.uni-goettingen.de>
  *
  * Details:
  * - sizeof() return an integer constant expression, and does not
evaluate
  *   the value of its operand; it only examines the type of its operand.
  * - The results of comparing two integer constant expressions is also
  *   an integer constant expression.
  * - The first literal "8" isn't important. It could be any literal
value.
  * - The second literal "8" is to avoid warnings about unaligned
pointers;
  *   this could otherwise just be "1".
  * - (long)(x) is used to avoid warnings about 64-bit types on 32-bit
  *   architectures.
  * - The C Standard defines "null pointer constant", "(void *)0", as
  *   distinct from other void pointers.
  * - If (x) is an integer constant expression, then the "* 0l" resolves
  *   it into an integer constant expression of value 0. Since it is cast
  *   "void *", this makes the second operand a null pointer constant.
  * - If (x) is not an integer constant expression, then the second
operand
  *   resolves to a void pointer (but not a null pointer constant: the
value
  *   is not an integer constant 0).
  * - The conditional operator's third operand, "(int *)8", is an object
  *   pointer (to type "int").
  * - The behavior (including the return type) of the conditional
operator
  *   ("operand1 ? operand2 : operand3") depends on the kind of
expressions
  *   given for the second and third operands. This is the central
mechanism
  *   of the macro:
  *   - When one operand is a null pointer constant (i.e. when x is an
integer
  *     constant expression) and the other is an object pointer (i.e. our
  *     third operand), the conditional operator returns the type of the
  *     object pointer operand (i.e. "int *). Here, within the sizeof(),
we
  *     would then get:
  *       sizeof(*((int *)(...))  == sizeof(int)  == 4
  *   - When one operand is a void pointer (i.e. when x is not an integer
  *     constant expression) and the other is an object pointer (i.e. our
  *     third operand), the conditional operator returns a "void *" type.
  *     Here, within the sizeof(), we would then get:
  *       sizeof(*((void *)(...)) == sizeof(void) == 1
  * - The equality comparison to "sizeof(int)" therefore depends on (x):
  *     sizeof(int) == sizeof(int)     (x) was a constant expression
  *     sizeof(int) != sizeof(void)    (x) was not a constant expression
  */
#define __is_constexpr(x) \
        (sizeof(int) == sizeof(*(8 ? ((void *)((long)(x) * 0l)) : (int
*)8)))

Nice!
If the author is willing to license it under the BSD license, we can copy it as
is.

We might want to add a couple of build time checks to verify that it does what
is expected; to catch any changes in compiler behavior.

LGTM too, but meanwhile we can continue without it just to unblock build on MSVC