From: Jacques Nadeau [mailto:jacq...@dremio.com]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 11:43 PM
To: dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Remove required type

Definitely in support of this. The required type is a huge maintenance and code
complexity nightmare that provides little to no benefit. As you point out, we
can do better performance optimizations though null count observation since
most sources are nullable anyway.
On Mar 21, 2016 7:41 PM, "Steven Phillips" <ste...@dremio.com> wrote:

> I have been thinking about this for a while now, and I feel it would
> be a good idea to remove the Required vector types from Drill, and
> only use the Nullable version of vectors. I think this will greatly simplify
> the code.
> It will also simplify the creation of UDFs. As is, if a function has
> custom null handling (i.e. INTERNAL), the function has to be
> separately implemented for each permutation of nullability of the
> inputs. But if drill data types are always nullable, this wouldn't be a
> problem.
>
> I don't think there would be much impact on performance. In practice,
> I think the required type is used very rarely. And there are other
> ways we can optimize for when a column is known to have no nulls.
>
> Thoughts?

"This communication may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution
by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received the message by mistake,
please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you."