Hi All,

As part of the Drill-on-YARN project we would like to split out user (“site”)
configuration from that for Drill itself. We also want to split
distribution-provided settings (such as those set by MapR) from user
configuration. Finally, we want to separate per-node configuration from
site-wide configuration. All of this simplifies upgrades (and enables YARN
localization.)

DRILL-4591 tracks this issue. I’ve just uploaded a proposal for the change. The
proposal covers motivation, details the config additions, explains the upgrade
process and provides a number of examples of how the change would work in
practice.

Backward compatibility is a key goal: existing installations work without
change. Users should find that using the site config simplifies upgrades.

Please have a look and provide comments. In particular, if you are a Drill
user, is this proposal helpful to you and how might we improve it?

Thanks,

- Paul

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4591
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DRILL-4591>