Github user jinfengni commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/819

    I agreed with @paul-rogers  that BatchSchema and MaterializedField should
consider all fields (I once briefly mentioned to @paul-rogers I feel there
might be bug in the equals/hashCode methods).

    Regarding Paul's 3 point, if we can get the schema infor (varchar length)
from data, i.e. the underneath storage plugin (RDBMS) provides such
information, when Drill gets the batch from recordReader, then Arina's patch
will work the same way as as the input is a string literal. In that sense, the
work in this patch is complimentary to how we know the table column's varchar
length.

---
with INFRA.
---