I'd suggest to unify multiple logback.xml into a single or max 2 (one for unit test and one for release) file. Any objections/cons to the proposal?

Thank you,

Vlad

On 9/4/17 05:00, Vova Vysotskyi wrote:
Vlad Rozov, thanks for the idea to conditionally enable Lilith appender.

I agree with you that the order of logback.xml files is undefined. I
suppose that these files are used for debugging separate tests when
logback config file is set manually (-Dlogback.configurationFile).

I'd suggest to conditionally enable lilith appender in logback.xml based
on a property (for example drill.lilith.level). By default it can be set to
OFF and lilith appender not being added to loggers specified in the
logback.xml. An individual unit test can be executed with
-Ddrill.lilith.level=DEBUG, in which case, the appender will be in effect
if necessary.

I have a related question - there are several logback.xml in the
drill/exec/java-exec: ./test/sh/logback.xml, ./test/resources/logback.xml
and ./main/resources/logback.xml. on top of that, java-exec depends on
drill-common-test that has it's own logback.xml and they all end up being
on the classpath during unit test. Which one is used during unit test
depends on their order in the classpath and my experience with maven
dependency says that the order is undefined. Do I miss something here and
there is an additional mechanism that resolves which logback configuration
is in use?

Thank you,

Vlad