Github user paul-rogers commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/drill/pull/1106

    Note that a similar bug was recently fixed in (as I recall) the Merge
Receiver. As part of this fix, would be good to either:

    1. Determine if we have more copies of this logic besides the Merge
Receiver (previously fixed) and the client code (fixed here.)
    2. Refactor the code so that all use cases use a common set of code for
this task.

    In any event, would be good to compare this code with that done in the
Merge Receiver to ensure that we are using a common approach. See
`exec/java-exec/src/main/java/org/apache/drill/exec/record/BatchSchema.java` in
PR #968.

    The two sets of code appear similar, depending on what `isSameSchema()`
does with a list of `MaterializedField`s. But, please take a look.

---