The code base is huge so many contributions that I doubt anyone knows all
aspects of Drill. So don't be overwhelmed by the amount of code. :)

Starting with the Architecture: http://drill.apache.org/docs/architecture/

There are plenty of resources here, and even online youtube/slideshare content
for the same.

The fastest way would be to try out something like this:
http://drill.apache.org/docs/tutorial-develop-a-simple-function/
Developing UDFs for specific usecases (like GIS, etc) is a good start.

If you are feeling lucky and going bold, you can look at the the existing bugs
(
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=-2&jql=project%20%3D%20DRILL%20order%20by%20created%20DESC
 ) and filter down on components that you want to be familiar ( (or are
comfortable) with working on.

We're looking forward to your contribution.

Thanks
Kunal