I don't see why you say that Drill is schema-forbidden.

The Parquet reader, for instance, makes strong use of the implied schema to
facilitate reading of typed data.

Likewise, the vectorized internal format is strongly typed and, as such,
uses schema information.

Views are another way to communicate schema information.

It is true that you can't, say, view comments on fields from the command
line. But I don't understand saying "schema-forbidden".