Hello,

Thanks for Ted & Paul for clarifying my questions.
Sorry for not being clear in my previous post, When I said create view I
was under the impression for simple views where we use cast expressions
currently to cast them to types. In this case planner can use this
information to force the scans to use this as the schema.

If the query fails then it fails at the scan and not after inferring the
schema by the scanner.

I know that views can get complicated with joins and expressions. For
schema hinting through views I assume they should be created on single
tables with corresponding columns one wants to project from the table.

Regarding the same question, today we had a discussion with Aman. Here view
can be considered as a "view" of the table with schema in place.

We can change some syntax to suite it for specifying schema. something like
this.

create schema[optional] view(/virtual table ) v1 as (a: int, b : int)
select a, b from t1 with some other rules as to conversion of scalar to
complex types.

Then the queries when used on this view (below) should enable the scanner
to use this type information and then use it to convert the data into the
appropriate types.
select * from v1

For the possibility of schema information not being known by the user, may
be use something like this.

create schema[optional] view(/virtual table) v1 as select a, b from t1
infer schema.

This view when used to query the table should trigger the logic of
inferring and consolidating the schema and attaching that inferred schema
to the view. In future when we use the same view, we should be using the
inferred schema. This view either can be local view pertaining to the
session or a global view so that other queries across sessions can use them.

By default we can apply certain rules such as converting simple scalar
values to other scalar values (like int to double etc). But we should be
also able to give option to the customer to enable rules such as scalar int
to array[int] when creating the view itself.

Thanks,
-Hanu