The compile problem is a problem with the MapR repo (I think). I have
reported it to the folks who can fix it.

Regarding the generic question, I think that Drill is very much a good
choice for putting a SQL layer on a noSQL database.

It is definitely the case that the community is much broader than it used
to be. A number of companies now use Drill in their products which is
one of the best ways to build long-term community.

There are alternatives, of course. All have trade-offs (because we live in
the world):

- Calcite itself (what Drill uses as a SQL parser and optimizer) can be
used, but you have to provide an execution framework and you wind up with
something that only works for your engine and is unlikely to support
parallel operations. Calcite is used by lots of projects, though, so it is
has a very broad base of support.

- Spark SQL is fairly easy to extend (from what I hear from friends) but
the optimizer doesn't deal well with complicated tradeoffs (precisely
because it is fairly simple). You also wind up with the baggage of spark
which could be good or bad. You would get some parallelism, though. I don't
think that Spark SQL handles complex objects, however.

- Postgres has a long history of having odd things grafted onto it. I know
little about this other than seeing the results. Extending Postgres would
not likely give you any parallelism, but there might be a way to support
complex objects through Postgres JSON object support.