Hello all,
Here is the draft report to the Apache Board.  This is due tomorrow, so please
let me know any comments ASAP.   Personally, I was very disappointed with
Apache's marketing dept's announcement of Drill 1.21.  Last time we had a major
release, it seemed like they did a lot more.  This time... not so much.  They
have a policy that they don't make a big deal for bug fix releases, but still...
Best,
-- C

The mission of Drill is the creation and maintenance of software related to
Schema-free SQL Query Engine for Apache Hadoop, NoSQL and Cloud Storage

## Issues:
No issues requriing Board attention.
The PMC would like to express a little disappointment with the rather tepid
response to our request for a release announcement.  Drill 1.21 was a very
significant release from a functionality perspective, and the only
announcements we received were buried in other announcements.

## Membership Data:
Apache Drill was founded 2014-11-18 (8 years ago)
There are currently 62 committers and 27 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 2:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was James Turton on 2022-01-23.
- No new committers. Last addition was Maksym Rymar on 2022-10-19.

## Project Activity:
Since the last report, we released Drill 1.21.0 and a bugfix release of
1.21.1.

1.21 was quite a significant release in that we eliminated the fork of Apache
Calcite that Drill was using and now Drill is running on the main branch of
Calcite, 1.34.  The result was a significant improvement in stability and
overall ease of use.  Another very significant improvement was the work done
to improve implicit casting.  One of the main challenges of Drill was querying
data without a schema.  When it works, the exprience is magical, but when it
doesn't, the user was often confronted with a barrage of incomprehensible errors
Drill 1.21.0 largely fixes both of these issues and by in
large, "it just works"!

Drill 1.21 also adds new connectors/plugins for:
* GoogleSheets
* Box File System
* MS Access

Drill 1.21 also adds the ability for Drill to query other Drill clusters.  This
is particularly useful if a user has data in multiple public clouds. In this
scenario, Drill can be installed in both environments, and then connected
using the new Drill-on-Drill plugin.  From there, a user can query across
environments without incurring massive data transfer costs.

Lastly, Drill 1.21 user translation to the security settings.  User translation
allows users to use individual credentials instead of service accounts to query
data in systems like Splunk or ElasticSearch.

1.21.1 is a minor bugfix release which fixed a significant regression in
Calcite's date functions as well as some other minor bugs.

1.21.1 was released on 2023-04-29.
1.21.0 was released on 2023-02-21.
1.20.3 was released on 2023-01-07.

## Community Health:
Drill's community health remains strong.

dev@drill.apache.org had a 4% increase in traffic in the past quarter
(349 emails compared to 335)
iss...@drill.apache.org had a 52% increase in traffic in the past quarter
(495 emails compared to 324)
29 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (-32% change)
35 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (-7% change)
112 commits in the past quarter (13% increase)
11 code contributors in the past quarter (-8% change)
34 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-20% change)
34 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-27% change)
11 issues opened on GitHub, past quarter (37% increase)
4 issues closed on GitHub, past quarter (33% increase)