Hi Drill Developers/experts,

I hope you are all doing well.

I have been working on a geospatial architecture use case for a while now,
researching the best way to handle large-scale Dutch coordinate
transformations directly inside Apache Drill. Next week, I am planning to
test my first working prototype / MVP for a custom Java Scalar UDF
(rd_to_wgs84).
The goal of this UDF is to perform high-performance, on-the-fly
transformations from the Dutch Rijksdriehoekscoördinaten (RD New /
Amersfoort, EPSG:28992) to global WGS84 coordinates (Latitude/Longitude,
EPSG:4326).

To maximize performance and avoid external GIS library overhead during
runtime code generation, the MVP will implement the official
Bessel-to-WGS84 polynomial regression formulas directly into the eval()
method using primitive doubles, Netty DrillBuf writes, and a VarCharHolder
output.

Since Drill UDFs operate on a very specific subset of Java and rely heavily
on internal scalar replacement, I want to make sure my implementation
strictly adheres to Drill's compilation mechanics and memory management
rules.

Once the MVP and the Maven project are up and running next week, would
anyone with experience in Drill's query engine internals and code
generation be open to reviewing the Java code? I am planning to publish the
final project as an open-source repository on GitHub to help the geospatial
data engineering community.

Any guidance or interest in doing a quick code review would be highly
appreciated! Feel free to send me a private message at this email address,
and we can discuss things privately between ourselves.

Best regards,

M.D

Reply via email to