It’s really hard to say no to a contribution when someone has put in a
significant amount of work.

The following approach is simple and works really well: Before you start work,
log a case, describing the problem. When you have some ideas about design, add
those to the case. When you have a code branch, add its URL to the case. And so
forth. At any point in the proceedings, people can chime in with their opinions.

In my opinion, a formal “design review” process is not necessary. Just build
consensus iteratively, by starting the conversation early in the process.

Julian