For Q1 - I have the feeling that if we asked the powers that be at Apache
for an opinion on bundling the MySQL connector that they would not be fans
of the idea -- mostly because it is not allowed for binary tarball
releases, and I don't see why it would be different for Docker releases. So
because of that, I wouldn't be comfortable bundling the mysql-connector jar
unless we actually _did_ ask the powers that be, and they said it's ok. The
powers that be are probably either ASF Legal or the Incubator PMC.

For Q2 - IMO precedent established by other projects means this is not
likely an issue. Probably because of the mere-aggregation reason you
brought up.

If we want to release official Docker images then this will also need to be
incorporated into our build process. Don are you interested in researching
/ proposing how that might be done? Anyone else - should we have a
discussion about whether we want official Docker images as part of our
release process? Personally, if it doesn't impose much additional burden on
release managers, and the image is something that is easy to run in
production in a way that we are comfortable supporting as a community, I am
for it. (I haven't reviewed the PR enough to have an opinion on that.)