I'm supportive of changing the versioning to something without the leading
zero in the next release where this is practical. If it's the one after
0.23.0, then I would go with 24.0. IMO, going with 1.0 would send a message
that this is the first mature release. But that isn't the case: we have
been doing mature releases for a long time now. Going with 24.0 is clearer
in that regard.

Happy to repeat this opinion on a new thread too :)