I think it would be OK to have a policy that contrib extension dependencies
are not proactively screened for CVEs. If we adopt such a policy, we do
need to make it clear to people that they should do their own screening of
any contrib extensions they use.

However, we can't extend that policy to saying we don't take responsibility
for security of contrib extensions at all. If there is a vulnerability in
the code of a contrib extension itself, then we are obligated to fix it. If
we receive a vulnerability report about a contrib extension, including a
report about an issue with one of its dependencies (via the process at
https://www.apache.org/security/#reporting-a-vulnerability) then we should
take it seriously and investigate. This is the cost of having the code
exist at all and be part of our source releases. We can only avoid _those_
costs by removing an extension completely.