Hi,

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 9:08 PM, Jun Liu <liu...@apache.org> wrote:
>> 1. But the naming of the branch looks inconsistent to me:
>>
>> * develop: 2.7.x
>> * master: 2.6.x
>> * 2.5.x: 2.5.x
>>
>> What about next major version, is there a branch called 2.8.x or 3.0.x?
>
> Or how about separate 2.6.x from master, and start 2.7.x directly on master?
> The branches would look like:
>
> * master: 2.7.x
> * 2.6.x: 2.6.x
> * 2.5.x: 2.5.x

This looks better, master will always be the latest version.

>> 2. should every pull request sent against 2.7.x and be back ported to 2.6.x?
>
> I think it will be up to us to decide which commit should be merged into the
> other branches and need to be done manually.

There should be a rule to guide contributors that which branch their
pull request should be sent against.

For example, if a pull request is a general fix/enhancement, it should
be sent against 2.7.x. On the other hand, if the fix/enhancement is
specific to some branch, it should be sent against that specific
branch.

Maybe we should also update the new contributor guide after the
decision is made.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing