On 3/8/17 11:02 AM, donovan o'hara wrote:
Hi,

What are the motivations for doing this in Java if the intention is that it
would mostly or often run in resouce poor environments? Would it not have
been better to write this for instance in C/C++ for a smaller footprint?

I did not see you adress this on your site - if you do please point me to
it.

Hello Donovan,

Welcome to the Edgent community.

I was not involved in the original design but am guessing a lot of it has to do with the general "Why java?" answers such as portability and great class libraries for use by not only Edgent, but also applications. The ability to easily perform fairly sophisticated analytics at the edge makes java an easier development environment than C or C++ in my opinion. This is useful especially in restricted bandwidth and high communication cost scenarios.

That said there has been some initial discussion in the community of trying to get support for something similar on IOS. Is seems there is interest in something like Edgent other languages.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/27996426fae005bf86af2d3633947e97f396026da49ddf52e1ea10de@%3Cdev.edgent.apache.org%3E

Best

Katherine