Hi all,

after finally merging back all changes we did in the last few months, I think
it would be a good time to do a first release using Maven. This way we can give
the Maven build its final and ultimate test and hopefully start releasing a lot
more often.

Even if I think the current development speed is still quite low, I would
propose to start doing releases the following way:

  *   The intention to release is indicated by a “[DISCUSS]” Thread in which
the intention for a new release is communicated
  *   After there is a general consensus on doing a new release a release
branch is created and the version develop is incremented (In this case, I would
create a “release/1.2” branch in which the version remains unchanged and the
version of develop is incremented to “1.3.0-SNAPSHOT”
  *   As soon as this is done a “[LAST CALL]” Thread is started asking everyone
to check the release branch, bring in last changes and fixes.
  *   As soon as the “[LAST CALL]” thread implies all are ready, a Release
Candidate is created. We’ll be using the maven-release-plugin for that. This
will create a so-called staging repository in Apache’s Nexus (This is like a
maven repository, but it contains only the artifacts of the release candidate)
  *   As soon as the RC is staged, a “[VOTE]” Thread is started containing a
link to the staging repository.
  *   As soon as the Vote passes, the staging repo is set to “release” and the
artifacts automatically go to Apache’s public maven repo and get synced to
Maven Central.
  *   Now the state of the release gets merged to “master” so now “master”
represents the state of the last release done by the project.
  *   If there were any bugfixes, patches etc. applied to the release branch,
these changes need to be merged to the develop branch too.

What do you think? Should we start the games?

Chris