Hi all,

So I whipped up a report … hope I got the most important things in there … I
added things since November as this seems to have been our last report.

----------------

Edgent

Apache Edgent is a programming SDK and micro-kernel style runtime
that can be embedded in gateways and small footprint edge devices enabling
local, real-time, analytics on the continuous streams of data coming
from equipment, vehicles, systems, appliances, devices and sensors of
all kinds (for example, Raspberry Pis or smart phones). Working in
conjunction with centralized analytic systems, Apache Edgent provides
efficient and timely analytics across the whole IoT ecosystem: from the
center to the edge.

Edgent has been incubating since 2016-02-29.

  1. Create and expand a diverse community of contributors and committers
     around the Edgent project.
  2. Attracting at least another independent committer/ppmc member.
  3. Finding further real world users of Edgent

aware of?

The new incubating project: Apache PLC4X has bound quite a bit of the active
Edgent contributors for now. So right now we haven’t been as active as in the
months
before. This is due to the fact that the affected contributors have been working
on an Edgent integration module for PLC4X. As these activities will require less
attention in the future we are hoping the adoption of PLC4X & Edgent to increase
the user- and eventually contributor-base.

  *   Christofer Dutz demonstrated Apache Edgent working together with Apache
PLC4X at the IoT Hessen Meetup end of December
  *   Christofer Dutz demonstrated Apache Edgent working together with Apache
PLC4X at Nortec Hamburg (Industrial fair)
  *   …

  *   Released Apache Edgent 1.2.0 as first Maven built version
  *   A lot of effort has been put into ensuring the stability of the
test-results (There were some timing related failures in the past)
  *   We have been working on simplifying the build and release process
(Especially reducing the number of manual operations)
  *   Two contributors/committers have been very active in creating an
integration module for Apache PLC4X
  *   …

How would you assess the podling's maturity?

  Edgent is making slow but consistent progress towards graduation. While we
  don't yet meet the diversity requirements, we put emphasis on community
  growth through outreach which will ultimately pave the way for additional
  committers and contributors. Especially in combination with Apache PLC4X we
  are hoping to help grow the community of both projects.

  Additionally, before we graduate it is important that we find users
  outside of IBM. As most Edgent committers are employed by IBM, external
  stakeholders help ensure long term contribution to the project.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [X] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [ ] Other:

Date of last release:

2017-12-14 Apache Edgent 1.2.0

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  In August 2017, we added Christofer Dutz as a new committer
  and PPMC member.