Sounds reasonable to me.

-> richard

On 1/23/20 10:08 AM, Thomas Watson wrote:
Hi,

The OSGI R8 Core specification is currently being worked on by the OSGi
Alliance.  One of the proposals is to add something called OSGi Connect to
the Core Framework specification [1] [2].

This specification takes much of its initial inspiration from the current
Felix Connect/PojoSR project.  The basic idea for OSGI Connect is to allow
content managed outside of the OSGi Framework to be represented as
(connected to) bundles installed inside the Framework.

As we have been developing the OSGi Connect specification I have been
working on a proof of concept called Atomos [3] that implements different
strategies for representing content managed from outside the Framework as
bundles inside the framework.  Currently Atomos can run bundles from the
following environments:

1) Using the Java class path - Atomos will discover any bundle JARs on the
class path and represent them as installed bundles.  This most closely
resembles what Felix PojoSR currently does I think.

2) Using the Java module path - Atomos will discover all modules in the
Module Layer hierarchy and represent them as installed bundles.  This
includes modules that have bundle manifests as well as ones that do not.
This also extends to the ability to load the framework and set of bundles
from a jlink image.

3) Using Graal Substrate native - With additional work to configure native
compilation Atomos can enable the Framework and a set of bundles to be
compiled into a native image.

Now that we are progressing the specification for OSGi R8, I would like to
contribute Atomos to an existing OSGi community where it may gain greater
adoption and contribution from others. I think Apache Felix is a good fit.
My plan is to have Atomos work with any OSGi R8 Framework implementation
that supports OSGi Connect and would have the tests run using both the
Felix and Equinox Framework to prove it continues to only use OSGi
specified APIs to do so. The project itself already is Apache-2.0 licensed.

What to others think about contributing Atomos to Apache Felix?

Tom

[1] - https://blog.osgi.org/2019/09/osgi-connect-revisited.html
[2] -
https://github.com/osgi/design/blob/master/rfcs/rfc0243/rfc-0243-Connect.pdf