Hi all,

Thanks to Nazeer for leading this session and the sizeable group that
attended. Based on the process, we can clearly use the assistance of other
community members in the planning process and committers in the release
process so happy we had such good attendance.

Based on the discussion, here's a proposal of how timing might look for
monthly release cycles with planning (a new phase) starting out six months
prior to the release date.

Screencast of session will be posted soon.

Please comment on the notes in the table and here's proposed timing for the
next 1.2 release:

Plans for Release Apache Fineract 1.2

Planning Release - Start with a Meeting on Feb 14

Announce Release - Feb 28

QA - Feb 28 - March 14

Publish Release Notes - March 14

Vote on Release - March 21

Target release date - March 28

Stage

Description

Proposed Length

How Far in Advance of Release (Proposed)

How Far in Advance of Release (Currently)

Planning of Next Release

Discuss with community what would like to ship in next release and what
people could work on.

Create fix version on JIRA to assign to.

Action: modify existing email template to open up planning process,
schedule a meeting to discuss and set a tentative branching date (i.e. 2
weeks later, if release date is a month past that).

.

1 week

6 weeks

Doesn’t Exist

Announcement of Release

Announce what is going to come in the release (should be 80% done at least).

Cut a release branch and freeze release branch and then develop branch can
still have active work on it but only in rare cases might anything
additional from develop

Email out sharing release branch details

4 weeks prior

1 - 2 months

QA

QA begins on the release branch - staging Server setup

Might fix some regression issues

1 - 2 weeks

4 weeks prior

JIRA Sanitization/Publish RElease Notes

Sanitize release documentation

Create release notes and email community release information with links.

2 weeks prior

Vote

Create artifacts, sign release, etc. Open up votes

1 week prior

Release

Tally up votes, announce, update websites and infrastructure with new
release artifacts.

Release date