Hello all,

In line with the other thread about a migration path, I wanted to start an
open discussion around the status of group lending and group/center-based
operations in Fineract CN. These are critical requirements for the majority
of our current user base.

Providing the required APIs and microservices in place, we're aiming to
have a GSOC project focused on building out a web UI for more traditional
Grameen-Style JLG lending as the current UI is focused on teller-driven
operations.

In this thread I want to discuss the requirements for group methodologies.
For traditioanl Grameen-Style JLG groups we should have a good baseline of
requirements given we've supported it for more than 10 years in the past
two generations of software. However I want us to bear in mind a design and
architecture that can also support Savings Groups, Self Help Groups,
Village/Communal Banking, etc. We'll begin to flesh out the corresponding
wiki pages to support the same.

Primarily though I want to discuss the status of the implementation and
arrive at next steps for implementing the first requirements - group loans,
JLG loans, group and center meeting support, etc.

I know that we have ptah, the microservice for group management (
https://github.com/apache/fineract-cn-group) but don't think it's been
linked to any of the portfolio services for lending or deposits.

Could those knowledgeable with the current implementation of groups and
proposed design of how groups were to be implemented, please share your
thoughts?

>From the Fineract CN Project Structure wiki page <https://goo.gl/Y7343W> ,
here's the most recent status on the group microservice:
group

Code name: ptah

Domain: groups, meetings

Intended for use in group loans, but has not yet been used from any other
service or from the UI.  Incomplete.

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative