+1 on approach/option #1.

Will it preserve a future reopening of list? I.e. Can it be re-established
or re-opened later?
I assume the answer is yes, so that approach seems best, as it preserves
optionality.

Then ... Comms...can we make sure to follow up w key members of users that
aren't part of dev to make sure they know the why and what? (I'm happy to
craft an email to them... I think it should go out first to them as a
notification).