On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:56 AM Ed Cable <edca...@mifos.org> wrote:

> [...]
> alleviating technical debt, upgrading core dependencies, strengthening and
> hardening Fineract, and improving overall code quality that Michael and
> Awasum have been leading with the support of Petri, Ivan, Manthan, Percy,
> Nasser, Georgio, and others.
>
> There really has been a flurry of activity across Github and JIRA from
> these rockstar volunteers but I also want to make sure that individuals
> from companies that are building and distributing solutions on Fineract
> become involved at the same level and are aware of this going activity and
> the need and opportunity to contribute as well.
>
> As many of the major issues related to upgrading of core dependencies have
> been starting to get resolved, I was trying to understand what
> projects/tasks our four interns working on Fineract (3 from GSOC through
> Apache and 1 from Outreachy through Mifos) would be focused on.  Both so I
> can document it for roadmap/planning purposes and also to see what
> additional capacity the interns have to take on items from the backlog,
> reviewing of incoming pull requests from partners, scalability, additional
> code quality etc.
>
> We'll have public gists for each of the interns summer objectives linking
> to the respective issue trackers available by start of the coding period
> (June 1).
>
> From looking at the proposals of our interns and the completed and
> in-progress activity on JIRA/Github, I've deduced the following:
>
> *Manthan*
> *Manthan's plate is very full at the moment as he works under the
> mentorship of Michael on:*
>
>    - Completing Swagger API documentation -
>    https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-733
>    - Implementing and Enforcing Checkstyle (and all of the corresponding
>    sub-tasks) - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-821
>    - Fixing some of the 59 High Priority (p1 and p2) Issues in the
>    Backlog -
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-790?jql=issuetype%20%3D%20Bug%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20p1
>    and
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-754?jql=issuetype%20%3D%20Bug%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20labels%20in%20(P2%2C%20p2)
>    - Use prepared statements instead of string concatenated SQL
>    everywhere - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-854
>
> *Nasser*
> *Nasser's primary focus is on the migration from OpenJPA to Eclipselink
> which I assume will take most of the summer.*
>
>    -  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-854
>
> At the moment I believe Awasum and Courage are mentoring Nasser and I
> think Saransh has been interested as well and I'm hoping @Ebenezer Graham
> <ebenezergraha...@gmail.com> and @Aleksandar Vidakovic
> <chee...@monkeysintown.com> can assist too.
>
> Officially, on the GSoC portal, Courage and Sanyam are the mentors but i
do keep up with Nasser's work. Yes, Nasser already started on the OpenJPA
to EclipseLink migration project and has even made progress to the extend
of sending a draft PR: https://github.com/apache/fineract/pull/928 . Lets
be hopeful that Nasser gets this done earlier than expected but we could
have a lot of surprises there. Remember the Hibernate to OpenJPA migration
for Fineract 1.x?

*Percy*
> *Percy's original focus included the upgrade to Java 11 but now that's
> complete, his focus is primarily around improving code quality by running
> and enforcing different codebase scanning tools and increasing testing
> coverage, and reducing run time of tests. *@percyayuka...@gmail.com
> <percyayuka...@gmail.com>*  can you share the links to the JIRA issues
> for the work you're doing. I was aware of:*
>

>    -
>
>    Enable and Enforce Googe’s Error Prone:
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-822
>    -
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-713
>    -
>
>    Replace Joda time with Java.time -
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-826
>

> Awasum is serving as the primary mentor.

Yes, We will tackle the Joda time migration, Error Prone should be done
soon(before end of May 2020). We will likely look into re-enabling PMD and
enforcing it: https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-1001 then fix
major issues, warning, deprecations and errors as a result of the Java 11
upgrade ( see: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-959 ). The
test coverage one is very important for the community, we may look at that
given time. I am in a discussion with Percy to agree on some of these tasks
atleast for the next 1 or 2 months scope of work. After that, we will look
at the backlog and see what we can do.