"nothing I've read so far makes me think that git isn't just another
version control system"

mmm...following the same line of thinking...flex is nothing more like other
web tech & framework, so why we stand with it when we could go with some
basic HTML/JS scripts out there
 ;)

Erik, sincerily, I understand you are right now trapped in a kind of
Kübler-Ross model with frustration about this drastic change. Normal since
from one day to other you lost the control you already had with SVN. And
worst of it, you didn't want this VCS change..., but many people here want
to enter GIT VCS and Nvie model. Please, try to manage this puntual problem
and let the GIT magic flow to make you another passion-gitter (this word
exist? ;)) like many of us. As many of us said here before, we're sure you
will love it and in few months you'll never would want to go backwards.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología