On 5/9/13 6:38 AM, "Justin Mclean" <jus...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> It was done to try to get ascenders and descenders factored into the height.
> Understand but then the width is then wrong. It this case the height isn't the
> issue. It's used in other part of the SDK when the height is important ie to
> calculate min height or where the baseline is but seems a little inconsistent
> from the quick glance I took.  Just search for "Wj" it turns up in about a
> dozen places.
>
> Justin
Yup, not defending, just explaining its purpose. (and I thought we used to
have "^" in there as well.  Feel free to put in a better mechanism, but it
might cost you a few cycles.  I think we decided it was a trade-off on how
often folks need to know the size of single-character strings.

Quite frankly, I don't recall if this was done because of some old player
bug or whether the player really does still return a lower textHeight for a
string like "____" vs "W^j" on all platforms and on all embedded font
rendering subsystems.   It could be that this technique is no longer needed.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team