Hi Peter,

2013/6/10 Peter Ent <p...@adobe.com>

> One of the things I have disliked about Flex is the over-complication of
> some things. The majority of the time I think most developers are looking
> for a quick alert to the user (with a message and a button to dismiss the
> alert) and a question with two or three choices. Adding multiple buttons,
> other content (other than the message and title), and such seems, to me,
> to belong in another class and not in Alert. This is the general
> philosophy of FlexJS - keep it simple and light and add in only what you
> need.

This assumption is subjective and not valid in my personal experience. In
most cases we used alerts to prompt the user to respond to an action. The
outcome was a YES/NO (or variations). A simple OK alert was certainly also
used, but not as frequent.

I agree that things should be simple though and that Alert might be a very
specific type of user prompt with limited/no modification possibilities.
The behavior you describe could also just be the default behavior.

> My question for this discussion was about getting the 'result' of the
> Alert - through events or via a delegate. Alex had also suggested to me
> the possibility of declaring an Alert in MXML which can be fine, but if
> the Alert has 3 buttons for one case and 1 button for another, then the
> MXML needs to be able to handle this. Having a single event with the
> button flag would take care that case:
>
> <fx:Declarations>
>     <basic:Alert id="alert1" message="Out of Time" title="Error" flags="4"
> close="handleAlert1Close(event)" />
>     <basic:Alert id="alert2" message="Are you sure?" title="Confirm"
> flags="3" close="handleAlert2Close(event)" />
> </fx:Declarations>
>
> Based on what I've read, the delegate pattern isn't all that familiar to
> Flex folks so I'll go with events and include the flag of the button that
> was selected.

Apologies if I diverted from the original question. The event approach
seems to me like the most obvious/intuitive one.