With a little direction from Alex, I'm able to run the app too. Here's
what happened to me:

I created a new Flex project and then imported the code from
DataBindingTest. I deleted the default application Flash Builder created
and I then changed the project's properties and made DataBindingTest.mxml
an Application and made it the default application.

Cannot do that. Flash Builder still uses mxmlc to compile that.

To fix this, I renamed DataBindingTest.mxml to my project's original
default application name, selected it and built it with the FlexJS
external tool and now it works correctly.

--peter