Erik,

The content in the two branches are exactly the same, but the new branch is
composed by clean commits only, without any merge-commit in their change set.
In your current branch, we have a serie of merge-commit in order to maintain
the branch updated. Each of those commits contain all changes from develop at
point where was created, collapsing on just one commit all relative change-set
from develop until that point.

In your case, the current branch has been contaminated with a partial changes
from develop and your commits are less readable and reusables using this way.

In other sort of things... when we use the git-merge as the only way, the
complexity of commit tree, grows up exponentially.

I hope that is helpful

Best regards,
Jose Barragan
Senior Software Engineer