On 5/14/17, 6:45 AM, "piotrz" <piotrzarzyck...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Alex,
>
>The question on what time we are talking about. Cause I think we have
>plenty
>of time and I don't feel like we are perfectly ready for release before
>FlexJS summit. - Fixing some last things may take a bit longer and
>personally I would rather wait than push something out not prepared in
>100%.
>- If we think about code of course.

As I write this, it is almost 11am in Miami.  In the "typical" release
process, if I cut an RC at 3am Monday in Miami (midnight for me in
Seattle), we are supposed to leave the vote open for 72 hours (not a
requirement, just good practice) so the vote will not close until 3am
Thursday.  Then if we announce the release say at 10am Thursday, that will
have only given the mirrors about 7 hours to propagate the release, so a
significant number of folks who immediately run out to install the release
will run into problems.

But we do have options.  One is to announce the release on Thursday but
tell folks to wait another N hours before installing.  Another is to
shorten the 72 hours to something less.  And another is not to announce at
all.

I only have one vote in the matter.  The rest of the PMC will decide.
There won't be an RC until enough folks write in to say they are ready to
review one and we'll arrive at consensus on whether to shorten the voting
period or not.

Announcements at the conference help draw attention to both the project
and Apache and are encouraged by the ApacheCon folks.  But we are not
obligated in any way.