>> So, if we could fake the mp4 stream to appear like a camera stream then
>> this should work wouldn't it?

You'd have to use a virtual camera software/driver to do so.
ManyCam is one that pretty much does what you want.
https://manycam.com/

The output resolution is limited though for the free version.

Also keep in mind that ManyCam will recompress the input (video file).

Once installed, a ManyCam virtual camera will appear as an option in Flash/Flex/AIR.

regards,
Peter