Hi all!

ApacheCon is coming up and it is the 15th anniversary of the Apache
Software Foundation.

In the course of the conference, Apache would like to make a series of
announcements. If we manage to make a release during (or shortly before)
ApacheCon, they will announce it through their channels.

I am very much in favor of doing this, under the strong condition that we
are very confident that the master has grown to be stable enough (there are
major changes in the distributed runtime since version 0.8 that we are
still stabilizing). No use in a widely announced build that does not have
the quality.

Flink has now many new features that warrant a release soon (once we fixed
the last quirks in the new distributed runtime).

Notable new features are:
 - Gelly
 - Streaming windows
 - Flink on Tez
 - Expression API
 - Distributed Runtime on Akka
 - Batch mode
 - Maybe even a first ML library version
 - Some streaming fault tolerance

Robert proposed to have a feature freeze mid Match for that. His
cornerpoints were:

Feature freeze (forking off "release-0.9"): March 17
RC1 vote: March 24

The RC1 vote is 20 days before the ApacheCon (13. April).
For the last three releases, the average voting time was 20 days:
R 0.8.0 --> 14 days
R 0.7.0 --> 22 days
R 0.6   --> 26 days

Please share your opinion on this!