Overall I think this is a nice approach, but let us then also discuss where
would we like to put these jars. Currently these jars are not in the lib
folder of the Flink distribution, which mean that whenever a user would
like to use them they have to package it with there usercode which is a bit
intuitive I think as they are in the org.apache.flink namespace.

The current approach was perfectly fine a month ago, when the connectors
where practically examples and not really connectors in the sense that we
actually expect users to use these exact classes as entry points to message
qeues. Now with the new PersistentKafkaSource I'm not quite sure that this
should be the case. Of course one can argue that these modules inherently
pull a lot of dependencies (Kafka, Zookeeper etc.) so it is better to avoid
them.

If we decide to add the connectors to the lib of the distribution then it
is not much use to separate them. If not then I support to do it.