I would also be in favour of making the distinction between the API and
common API layer more clear by using different names. This will ease the
understanding of the source code.

In the wake of a possible renaming we could also get rid of the legacy code
org.apache.flink.optimizer.dag.MatchNode and
rename org.apache.flink.runtime.operators.MatchDriver into JoinDriver to
make the naming more consistent.