Hey,

Thanks for the feedback guys:

@Max: You are right, this is not top priority to changes, I was just
mocking up some alternatives to try to make the state usage even simpler so
that the user can keep his current implementations and just add 1-2
annotations.

@Stephan, Robert: You are right that the checkpointed interface has some
advantages from that point of view. Maybe a way to go would be to separate
this signaling functionality (when the checkpoint is taken and maybe also
the commits) from the snapshotting itself. One advantage I see there is
that we would not need to have 3 different interfaces doing pretty much the
same thing (OperatorState - needed for partitioned state and different
backends/out-of-core, Checkpointed - needed for special actions after
checkpoints, Annotations - checkpointing simple fields natively).

What we could do is to modify the checkpointed interface, so it cannot
actually take a snapshot, but perform actions after the snapshot is taken,
and also on restore (and maybe include the commit functonality as well).

Checkpointed{
void onSnapshot(id, ts)
void onRestore(id, ts)
// void commit(id, ts)
}

Since all these special actions are best effort anyways I think this could
work. And now it is clear that OperatorStates and annotated fields would be
checkpointed, but we can still have actions on the checkpoints.

Would something like this make sense? I think it would be very good to
clarify and make the minimal necessary interfaces that don't necessarily
replicate functionality.

Cheers,
Gyula

Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> ezt írta (időpont: 2015. júl. 1., Sze,