Flink's classloading is different from Hadoop's.

In Hadoop, the entire JVM is started with all classes (including the user
jar) in the classpath already. In Flink, jars are added dymanically, to
running JVMs with custom class loaders. That way, running worker/master
processes can accept new jars without restarts. Important for low-latency,
shells, etc

Flink itself respects these classloaders whenever dynamically looking up a
class. It may be that Closure is written such that it can only dynamically
instantiate what is the original classpath.