Vasia and I are looking for additional feedback on FLINK-3771. This ticket
[0] and PR [1] provides methods for translating the type or value of graph
labels, vertex values, and edge values. My use cases are provided in JIRA,
but I think users will find many more.

Translators compose well with graph generators and graph algorithms, which
are restricted to emitting a wide type. Translators can also be used for
processing and merging input data.

The equivalent facility on DataSet is simply a MapFunction. Graphs have
additional structure in having two DataSets, vertices and edges, as well as
the label type binding the two.

The PR provides three basic implementations of the Translator interface as
well as Translate methods which operate on graphs, vertices, and edges.

Greg

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/1900/files