Hi!

I would like to give you some status updates on the Google Summer of Code
project. I started to implement the proposed features [1].

Status of code generation in general:
* I can compile the generated code using Janino compiler
* I can load the compiled classes and use them
* For some mysterious reason, during deserializing a Janino compiled
object, the readObject method is not invoked. When the same code is
compiled using another compiler it works as intended. I am investigating
this issue. In case any of you have some idea what the problem might be,
don't keep it secret :) While I am trying to solve this issue, I also
continue to work on code generation. I can still test the generated code,
registering it manually.

Status of generated POJO serializers:
* I could use the generated code on the WordCountPojo example.
* Everything is implemented except for copying stateful serializers and
serializing subclasses.
* There are several possible performance advantages of the generated
serializers:
  - The serialization/deserialization of the fields are not in a loop,
giving the JVM better chance to inline and devirtualize
  - Null checks are eliminated for primitive types
  - Subclass checks are eliminated for final classes

Status of generated POJO comparators:
* I started to implement them.

I did some preliminary benchmarks with the generated code using the
WordCountPojo example.
* In the baseline (using the default Flink serializers)
PojoSerializer.deserialize was one of the hottest methods (with over 11
percent sample rate).
* Using the generated serializers, the percentage of samples from
deserialize method went down below 3 percent.
* Very significant amount of the time is spent in comparators, so there are
some potential performance gains there as well.

What's next? I am trying to solve the problem with the readObject method,
and in the meantime I try to get the generated comparators working on the
WordCountPojo example. Once that is done, I will make a more detailed
performance case study. After that I will add support for handling
subclasses in the generated code. At that point the generated code will
have all the required features.

Note: I did not change the serialization format, so the generated code can
work with the default serializers. This is crucial for backward
compatibility with save points.

Regards,
Gábor

[1] https://github.com/Xazax-hun/flink/commits/serializer_codegen